sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Fg falcon 5 speed drives forward 4th gear works sometimes

Customer Question

Fg falcon 5 speed drives forward 4th gear works sometimes but not all the time and doesn't have reverse
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 150000km just serviced new oil and filter
JA: What year is your Falcon?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes have serviced it with new oil and filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes it clicks in reverse when you roll it backwards it seams like it goes in reverse and drives a little bit but doesn't fully engage until you either roll it. Backwards or rev it to about 3000 rpm
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the transmission was staying in a single gear then it could be due to an electrical issue but if you've lost reverse and one forward gear either slips or isn't present then it does indicate internal failure. A loss of reverse or slipping into reverse as you seem to be describing does indicate clutch failure. If the fluid level is correct then the trans will either need to be replaced or removed and disassembled for inspection and repair.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does drive in reverse you just have to roll it back a bit so it clicks in properly and it does drive in 4th just doesn't engage every time
So it seams to me that it is not a band issue
Maybe a sticky solenoid for 4th gear and maybe the reverse survey is not working properly
What are your thoughts

Can you explain what you mean by 'clicks in properly'?

Does it stay in one gear while driving or does it slip or freewheel when it should go into fourth?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I mean it engages properly and reverses as if there is nothing wrong
It drives through 1,2,3 then gets to 4th and sometimes it slips and goes to 5th

Your first post said that it does not have reverse. That's not true?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You select reverse and it seams like it selects but doesn't fully engage it will move a little on flat ground,
if you rev it to about 3000rpm it sometimes fully engages with a big clunk as you can imagine other than that you have to roll it backwards down hill for it to fully engage

That is reverse slipping. That indicates internal failure if the fluid is full, as does slipping or freewheeling at the 3-4 shift.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What do you mean by internal failure??

Internal means inside. The problem is inside the transmission. There is a clutch or seal failure and the transmission needs to be replaced or removed and disassembled for inspection or repair.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would replacing the solenoid pack and reverse servo solve the issue if there is not a band issue

A solenoid issue would cause it to go into limp in and have one forward gear and reverse. If a leaking servo was causing the slip it still would result in damage requiring the transmission to be disassembled for repair. The trans is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced if it is slipping.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could dirty fluid and gunk be blocking any passage ways and be causing these issues

Degraded fluid won't cause a slip or lack of engagement. If there was debris large enough to block passages or valves then it had to come from the failure of a geartrain component or clutch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got gearbox of a mate it was sitting in his shed for a while and could of gotten dirt or something in the oil cooler lines as they were not covered which is why I asked if there was gunk in it would it cause these issues
When I put it in it worked fine no issues then a week later it started playing up

If foreign debris was introduced that could cause a problem but that would still require the transmission to be removed and disassembled both to find and remove debris and to fix the damage done by the slipping.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My question is if the reverse servo has a blockage will replacing it fix reverse as long as there is nothing wrong with the bands and will putting a new solenoid block in fix 4th as long as there is nothing wrong with the bands
No. As I mentioned the transmission needs to be replaced or overhauled.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have you personally had experience working on these fg 5 speed autos
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why won't changing the solenoid block or reverse servo do anything as I said it drives in 4th sometimes so 4th gear does work just doesn't engage always and the same as reverse it does work when it engages properly
I am asking you what I can do to make them engage properly I have a complete other gearbox that I pulled out it has a worn intermediate bore which resulted in 3rd gear band snapping other than that worked fine I can use whatever is needed to fix other gearbox so what do you suggest other than remove and inspect or replace???

As I mentioned a bad solenoid is going to cause the trans to go into limp in and stay in one forward gear and it will not affect reverse.

I described what you can do to repair the problem. The trans either needs to be replaced or disassembled for repair. Short of that, you're certainly free to replace whatever parts you'd like but you'll find that time and money are lost in doing so.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
basically you have no idea how to fix my problem
Other than tell me to replace or remove and disassemble

Yes, I know how to fix the problem. The trans either needs to be replaced or disassembled to determine the extent of the damage and repair it. The only way to know the extent of what is wrong is to disassemble it. Even someone diagnosing the vehicle in person would need to disassemble the transmission to know exactly what is going to need to be replaced, if anything, in addition to the overhaul.