Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota/Lexus expert
Experience:  30 + years experience with Toyota products

I have a Suzuki 2010 SX4 which intermittently blows large

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki 2010 SX4 which intermittently blows large amounts of white smoke from the exhaust. Engine has done 120 kilometres users no motor oil and water reservoir levels are constant. The smoke smells like oil but the only other oil could only be transmission oil some how being burnt. Is this at all possible. regards Bill.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 18 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Since you have stated the white smoke smells like oil, have you checked to see if the power steering fluid level is low? On some cars (not all sure about Austrailian cars), there is a pressure sensor on the power steering pressure line. When pressure is high, the line pressure causes a valve inside the pressure sensor to open. This allows a small bit of additional air into the intake manifold that raises the idle (to make up foe the horsepower drag by turning the steering wheel at low/idle rpm. If this valve is leaking, this will allow fluid into the vacuum line that leads to the intake manifold area. This is most likely the cause of your oily white smoke. I would check to see if you have such a device attached to your power steering line (or have a good tech look at it for you if you are not versed in engine mechanical items). If it has a pressure switch, look at the vacuum line(s) connected to it. If one is wet with oil, you are guaranteed that this is the problem. No oil should be in any vacuum line.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.