Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a BMW X5M 2011 (45000km)and recently it started to

Customer Question

I have a BMW X5M 2011 (45000km)and recently it started to intermittently start to miss upon start up. When it does so it is not firing on 2-3 cylinders. Switch of and start up again it is fine. My local BMW mechanic (not a dealer, used to work for BMW then started up his own garage) says it is the injectors and that all 8 need to be replaced. I have read that the gen 1 injectors were no good and have been replaced. Some info I found said it was "courtesy recall" if you took your vehicle in to BMW and requested them to change the injectors they would do it at no charge. Is this correct? If so would I still be able to get it done. I am being quoted $6000 (Australian) to do the job. I am happy to do the job myself, but from what I have read the injectors need to be calibrated into the DME. Is that correct? Also read of warnings of incorrect installation could result in cylinder head damage and possible DME damage if earths not replaced correctly. Have I been given correct advice in your opinion or lead up the proverbial garden path? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** has been doing courtesy recalls on these, but there is not an official recall notice, so they are no obligated to do, but usually do, the first gen injectors had alot of problems, so they designed the 2nd gen, and have had no problems, here in the states, we have not been denied the free replacement, but I dont know about austrailia, but I am sure they would do it, the only way to know is to contact your local dealer, and ask, and if they deny it, then contact customer service and start a claim, they will send a district rep, and usually he will give it a green light,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,YThanks,Tim