Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a 2006 R51 Pathfinder V6 with a code P0174, Yes P0174

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2006 R51 Pathfinder V6 with a code P0174
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes P0174 it is Leaning out on Bank2
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and no I have replaced all 4 02 sensors, Maf sensor, swapped the injectors from bank2 to bank1 and did a smoke test on the intake system to rectify any vacuum leaks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Catalytic convertors were replaced a year ago
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

Looks like you covered most problem areas .

Was all parts you replaced New and OEM parts .

Check the following .

Fuel pressure .

Replace the PCV valve (typical for P0174.)

I think you may have a problem with a leak on the exhaust ,now this is a hard to find issue you may not hear

the exhaust leak to block up the pipe and check up front around the header and before the sensor .

And a bad spark plug coil ,could also cause you this issue.

Please check this then get back to me if needed.

Rgds Greg.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg
All parts were new
I just had the exhaust checked on the weekend for any leaks by an exhaust shop and he confidently said no leaks.
Coil packs when unplugged one at a time engine drops in revs, they were replaced 40,000klm ago when they are meant to be replaced every 100,000klms
I have had the car since new and there are no oil or water leaks either.
Fuel pressure is the only item I haven't checked yet.
I have long term and short term fuel trim figures as well.
Long term Bank1 -7.0% short term bank1 -1.6%
Long Term Bank2 -9.4% short term bank 2 -3.1%I have had 3 separate mechanics look at it including a Nissan Dealer who spent 2 hours on it and couldn't find the source of the problem. Unless someone else has had similar issues on a same model pathfinder I don't think I will have any luck to find the source of the problem. The codes are providing the "text book approach" to the problem and after spending $2000 I am not any closer to solving yet.Let me know your thoughts or if you would know of a mechanic in Melbourne who is willing to diagnose and repair.Cheers
Chris
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 month ago.

Trims

The MAF sensor or a leak just after the MAF would normally be the problem to have both codes but then fuel trim would be bad.

All i can think of now is possible fuel pressure low for both banks to be running lean. If pressure is also good and all systems are good then i would be checking at the dealer if a ECM reflash would sort out this problem .

Do you have any drivability issue ..

Greg