sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda 3 Neo Auto 2006 - Engine power issues. At random

Customer Question

Mazda 3 Neo Auto 2006 - Engine power issues. At random intervals power drops out with revs maxing out at 2krpm.
If I pull over and turn off the engine, then restart again 30 seconds later. Power returns and can continue for a little while before it happens again.
Worse when trying to accelerate up hills. At high speeds when the power drops off I can coast but once I try to push the power - the engine seems to shudder and resist.
Help
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the engine controller is either limiting power or imposing a low rev limiter, either way to prevent damage or a safety issue. If it sees an issue such an electronic throttle control or cam timing issue it can limit power.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The mechanic believed it was tripping the vacuum switch warning message. Not sure of the code, but since he couldn't replicate it - he was at a loss.

Are you able to find out what codes are setting?