Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Dead battery in a smartcar roadster and nothing happens with

Customer Question

Dead battery in a smartcar roadster and nothing happens with a portable jumpstarter
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: No i havent tested it
JA: What year is your Roadster?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Roadster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried an overnight battery charger and now a portable jumpstarter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Key turns but everything is totally dead
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  discostew replied 2 months ago.

Hi Matthew,im stew a mechanic here in australia,can you tell me...is the roadster auto or manual?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sequential gear auto

Hi Mathew,thanks for getting back,have you tried starting in neutral?(if it can),most autos these days have a shift interlock as well as a start inhibitor ,to prevent it being started without ones foot on the brake and/or in any gear other than park or neutral,the starter will only work when a criteria is met i.e. in park or neutral,foot on brake etc.(bmw will only start when the doors are closed as well),have you tried jiggling the shifter in/out of gear or tapping the brake pedal,the relays/solenoids that make all this lock-out work can sometimes jamb,preventing the system working properly and if given a little encouragement can revert to start,also check the owner manual for a backdoor,sometimes the lockout can be bypassed for service procedures,may get you going,let me know ,cheers stew

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i tried all those things - in neutral and with brake on. Car totally dead with no response of any kind