sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My electric fan that cools the engine has stopped working, I

Customer Question

my electric fan that cools the engine has stopped working, I think its the relay but where is the relay placed. My car is a 2005/6 ford fiesta auta 5 door
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: the batery is only months old and the veh is coming up for a 190000 sevice next month
JA: What year is your Fiesta?
Customer: purchased Jan 2006 manufactured dec 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am ill equiped to do it myself(I am 80 years old) my servicing is done by Sunshine Ford Ashmore on the Goldcoast
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The engine starts well, two nights ago it overheated,thats when I found out about the fan being inop
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The cooling fan relay is in the box inside the car, but relays almost never fail. You can try swapping or replacing it but there is almost surely another problem.

Have you used a test light to check for power and ground at the fan motor with the engine running and while the fan should be running (engine over normal temperature or a/c on)?