Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

02 diesel prado, loss of power intermittently followed by

Customer Question

02 diesel prado, loss of power intermittently followed by cloud of blue smoke. Have had both fuel tanks & filters changed( filter this week) .
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts fine, haven't traveled far enough to determine fuel usage
JA: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?
Customer: KZ j 95r .has 1KZ engine .3ltr turbo diesel
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't touched turbo ( yet ). New fuel filter, cleaned fuel lines ,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No,any advice would be nice
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

I'd start by checking the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you