indy-tech
indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  All import and domestic car repairs and diagnostics
29331485

Good old P0700 in a 2006 viva. Changed oil no change.

Customer Question

good old P0700 in a 2006 viva. Changed oil no change. Changed transmission, no change. The symptoms are, after 10 minutes or so the transmission goes into limp mode in 3rd gear. No acceleration at low speeds but ok over 70 kph. Leave it to cool and all gears function again. Scan tool data reveals tps only showing 45 % max opening in gear and 66% opening max in neutral.. Engine shows a transmission control fault but the transmission shows no faults. Suspect the throttle body or wiring to it has a problem but the wiring and plugs from the ECU to the throttle body test and look ok.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 1 day ago when we changed the transmission.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Holden viva 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: please reread first message sent to you.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi Ian .

Code P0700 is a ECM code telling you that the TCM(Transmission ) has a stored code .

You will need a high level scan tool to connect to the TCM which most tools can not do.

When you changed the transmission did you also use all the sensors from the old and move to the new one .

Lets say for example you did change over all sensors to the new one then this could be your problem as a speed sensor input or output will put you into limp mode .

TPS reading with engine off should read 0-12% to 95 to 100%.and accelerating slowly you should have a nice clean sweep from 0 to 100% with no glitches .

TPS could trip this code also but you would also have a TPS code in the ECM.

Get a scan tool that reads trans codes and trans live data this will help you sigle out the problem .

Please do this and please get back to me for further assistance if needed.

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Transmission is a complete replacement. different sensors. tps ignition on is closed 2%, wot is 66%. No tps fault codes in ECM. Driving for the first 10 to 15 minutes, gear selection and live data correspond. then I get no gear selected data and the gearbox feels like its stuck in 3rd gear i.e limp home mode. No engine or transmission warning lights come on the dash and the only fault is the p0700. let the car cool and all is good again for 10 minutes then the gearbox faults again.Ian

Ian .

What scan tool are you using .

Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Snapon versus D10

Ian .

Check at your Dealer just had a report that there is a few reflashes for transmission control issue with no warning lights .

This maybe your problem .worth checking as myself for this vehicle i don't have any insight to TSB/Callbacks .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wiil do, dealer 200 metres from me. Will let you know how I get on.Thanks Ian

Thank you Ian that would be nice .

Have a great Day .

Rgds Greg