Marty, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 34 years experience.

Marty Have a e320 that will start and run for a few seconds

Customer Question

Hi Marty
Have a e320 that will start and run for a few seconds before dying if started a few times will run rough then smooth then rough again like it's not running on all six.the battery had gone flat so removed charged and replaced car was fine before battery went flat
Thanks Nigel
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nigel, if this problem happened after the battery went flat I would try initializing the electronic throttle actuator. To do this just turn the key on to the second click but do not start the car. Leave the key in this position for three minutes then start the car and see if it will idle. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No joy Marty the more I start the better it seams to idol will run smooth then revs drop off and feels like it's running on 4 then will idol smooth when revs come up. There doesn't seam to be any throttle response when pushing down the pedal will stay at idol then after a bit come up in the revs
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like a possible fuel pump fault or a fault with the throttle actuator. Lack of throttle response could be due to low fuel pressure. I'd suggest getting a fuel gauge connected to the fuel rail to measure the pressure. You should have approximately 52 psi when running.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why should this be the case when all I've done is remove battery and replace when charged the car was fine up until then
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

It would have nothing to do with the battery replacement. If the car was fine up until the battery was replaced I'd have to go back to the throttle body initialization. Try leaving the key on for a little longer and see if it will initialize. If you have no success you will need to get the car connected to the Mercedes tester to check for faults and perform the initialization.