sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a Mazda 6 2003 model. I had a worn out alternator

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Mazda 6 2003 model. I had a worn out alternator clutch pulley that is destroying the belts.I tried to look for one I couldn't find it so we had one modified and i was able to drive it but the belt got destroyed again and I ordered one one from ebay. So after I had the belt changed,the car is cranking but isnt able to start. My battery is worn out, but even if you change the battery, the engine will crank but it will not start. Please help.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes, I took it for charging but the mechanic says that the battery is completely worn out.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am using my a mechanic, but where I am, we dont really have a lot of them who know about mazdas. I replaced the worn out belt and tried to use a different battery to start and the engine is cranking but not starting.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I took it for service earlier, the mechanic recommended that I change the fuel pump but I was unable to locate one so he just cleaned it and put it back.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will cause a no start condition including a loss of spark or a loss of fuel pressure. If someone has diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump and it was done so correctly then it's going to need to be replaced. There isn't anything that can be cleaned to allow it to work again.

Are you missing only fuel pressure?

If so was power and ground at the pump liveried?