Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

I have just bought a 1997 ford transit custom 2.5l turbo

Customer Question

Hey I have just bought a 1997 ford transit custom 2.5l turbo diesel and it seems the oil breather pipe has been dodgied up with another pipe running into an old bottle with what looks like the pipe that should go on there is blocked off
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a lot of oil around that area car is running perfectly no smoke just seems funny. The pipe that is bloked off runs into the air intake pipe
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

sound like the engine started making more breather gas or using a bit of oil and a previous owner has bypassed the regular feed back to the intake

now in theory this is fine but you will get a lot of fumes coming out of the neck of that bottle and the gases can often be explosive so I'd say its worth trying to put it back to normal to see how bad it is like this

if it starts running badly then I'd consider doing a compression test next to confirm that all the cylinders are within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you there is quite a lot of oil too so I'm a little unsure of putting that back into the air take what could that be?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

this sounds like the engine may be breathing quite heavily so the blow-by gas is pushing out past the pistons you will get a small amount of oil carried over in the gas

this is normal - but if its excessive hen it can give running issues

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you