sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I've got a 09' Triton GLXR 3.2 TD with 120k and the harmonic

Customer Question

Hi Doug i've got a 09' Triton GLXR 3.2 TD with 120k and the harmonic balancer has just failed causing it to separate with the outer pushed back onto the timing cover. Major oil leak now appearing to come from either the seal or the damaged case. About 9 weeks ago I had all the drive belts replaced due to them being rather noisy. Is it possible that overtightening of the drive belts could casue this problem? The engine has been looked after very well
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: All work done is according to Mitsubishi service schedules. I cannot say what gaskets or hoses have been replaced if any. There is no other oil leaks other than the major oil leak caused by the harmonic balancer rubbing up against the timing case. Around 12 months ago the engine had a ECU upgrade (Ecutek software) and an EGR modification providing more power, better fuel economy and reduced or eliminated soot build up. I am also wondering wether the upgrade itself could lead to a harmonic balancer failure. The engine produces considerably more power & torque than standard due this upgrade could this also be a factor? Can you assist?
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mitsubishi?
Customer: MY09 Triton Twin cab GLXR 3.2L turbo diesel. (Built in Thailand Sold in Australia)
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I intend on taking it to the workshop where all the recent service/upgrade work has been done including the replacement drive belts. At this stage i see the cause as being the drive belt replacement by them some 9 weeks earlier. Earlier I've taken the vehicle to another workshop close by were it has been diagnosed after I noticed oil leaking.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks Pearl. I appreciate your response. Sorry about the typing speed....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Guys while I'm waiting for your answer & in order to give you more information I add that the ECU upgrade that I had done to the engine was performed by MRT Performance based in Sydney Australia. Their website provides much information about the upgrade. Should you wish to view their website the address is: www, the way the engine is 4M41 series 3.2 litre turbo diesel August 2009 build.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a direct link to the page regarding the EcuTek upgrade. this point I am only asking the question can the harmonic balancer failure be caused by:
(a) Incorrect or overtightened drive belts
(b) The ECU upgrade?
(c) Timing Chain wear or incorrect setting?** The vehicle had a major scheduled service around the time of the upgrade - 12 months ago - which involved adjusting the valves.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm quite sure the crank damper just failed due to age or wear. What you've described isn't unheard of.

It isn't possible to over tighten the belt because it uses an automatic tensioner.

The engine controller software wouldn't have been a factor.

Incorrect cam timing will cause the engine to run poorly and the check engine light wouldn't be on, and it wouldn't contribute to a crank damper failure.