sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2007 Bt50 is having trouble starting, when started engine

Customer Question

Hi my 2007 Bt50 is having trouble starting , when started engine light comes on . Also occasionally I will be driving at 80 and it will stall and lose and lose all power . Have been to diesel mechanic and had it scanned and they can't find a mechanical fault .
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Yes they have and no code come up . Had it full serviced and I don't know wat else to do . It's a great ute but it's starting to annoy me . The mechanic thinks it could be electrical .
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ??? Fixing my 80 ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will cause the engine light to come on. The engine light is most likely related to the symptoms you're having.

The engine light comes on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing is done from there based on the codes. If the engine light comes on then there are fault codes set without a doubt. If this shop is telling you that there are no codes either they don't' have the proper equipment to work with the vehicle or they aren't being truthful because they either can't or don't want to diagnose it. If you don't have a scan tool and/or aren't intending to diagnose the problem yourself then I would recommend another shop, preferably a dealer.