Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute that appears to be stuck in 4wd

Customer Question

Hi
Jacking the rear of the car up, out of gear, hand brake off, if I tried to turn the rear wheels it tries to turn the drive shaft
I have tried disconnecting the power to the rotary blade coupler and it made no difference.
Taking the car onto wet grass, 1 front and 1 rear wheel spins regardless of it being in 4wd mode or not.
Is there a solenoid on the gear box or transfer case that could be faulty or is the rotary blade coupler the only connection between the gear box and rear diff
Cheers
Dean
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, Ive seen this problem before for sure. The rearend is frozen up in AWD. the entire rear differential which includes the RBC will need replaced.

checking in to see how its going