FixItMan, Master Technician

Reassess lower control arm brushes? what are they and why is

Customer Question

reassess lower control arm brushes ? what are they and why is the approx. service charge by my Subaru dealer around $690? SOUNDS EXPENSIVE TO ME?? Thanks frank
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2011 forester xs premium auto with 97,000kms
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not by me nothing tried -looking to understand what they are and the cost seems alot
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: how do we pay you the $5.00?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: can use my debit card
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Frank, my name is***** control arm bushings on this car are a pretty common failure. Most of the time they fail due to an oil leak from the engine allowing the oil to get on the rubber bushings which causes them to deteriorate. They will also just fail over time. As for the cost, this is fairly standard from the dealer. The cost should be for complete control arms installed. If you want to save some money you should be able to take it to just about any independent shop that does suspension work because the job is just like most other cars. You can probably get it for closer to $500 from an independent shop. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.