sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My car wont start. Seemed to be battery but a jump start

Customer Question

Hi my car wont start. Seemed to be battery but a jump start didnt help. Makes a whirring or flipping kind of sound. Had to turn the asc off to be able to change gears...
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: No idea where in the engine. Since this morning no signs of any problems yesterday
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2008 mistubishi outlander
JA: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We were on way to an a sports thing gor my gusband he has had to leave. We just tried to jump start it with jumper leads
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that the battery is dead. Depending on the severity of a battery failure and the condition/quality of jumper cables you may not be able to jump start it unless you're using a professional grade jump box. The noise you're hearing could be the starter actually engaging though, if the engine is cranking then the battery isn't in question. Can you describe the noise you're hearing?