sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Recently had a service on my mazda cx7. It required a new

Customer Question

recently had a service on my mazda cx7. It required a new air filter at the time as the mechanic didn't have one at the time. I also topped up the Addblue which the adblue sign was coming on saying it was low. After topping it up a waning sign saying low adblue stayed on and still there.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Have you checked the spark plugs?
Customer: Also the car is losing power flat foot at 80 klms an hour and lower. I though dirty fuel so I flushed the fuel with fast revs. No difference could this be the airfilter ?
JA: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The mileage after adding adblue is only around town , noticed the but the adbllue is not dropping when you go to top it up. I'm on a disability pension and abit worried mechanical. The car is diesel, manual 6 x speed. Im having a mechanic looking at it on Monday. have notice a few car owner concerns with the same issue regading adblue but now concerned with low speed. When I tend to put the foot down I can feel the car jerking and then pick up speed very quickly then lose power again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just the adblue and why Im losing power..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that could cause a loss of power but if that started after you began seeing the message that the exhaust fluid was low then it may be related to that. If the aftertreatment system isn't operating correctly then the engine controller has the ability to limit engine power. If it believed that the exhaust fluid was low and not refilled and the system could not function then it would derate power.

Odds are there is a level sensor issue preventing it from knowing you filled the tank. The first thing that needs to be done is check for fault codes and see if there is anything else related to a loss of engine power. If not then odds are power is being limited intentionally.