sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2011 mazda bt50 space cab auto gear selector has come adrift

Customer Question

2011 mazda bt50 space cab auto gear selector has come adrift only got reverse lucky I could reverse 500 metres to a shed on property
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 60000 no oil leaks
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well I'm out on a property now about 10 k from town
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the shifter moves with no resistance then odds are the shift cable has either broken or is off at either the shifter or transmission. If you were able to get reverse again after the problem started then most likely the cable is off and happened to catch again in a way that you were able to shift to an extent.

The first thing that needs to be done is properly support the vehicle or set the emergency brake and use wheel chocks, slide underneath and see if the cable is attached at the trans. If ok then you'd need to then access it at the shifter. If it's actually attached at both ends then you can have a helper move the shifter while the cable is watched at the trans. If it's attached at both ends but doesn't move then the cable is broken.