Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited

2003 Volkswagen Beetle overheated and spilled coolant. Still

Customer Question

2003 Volkswagen Beetle overheated and spilled coolant. Still coolant in the reservoir and no more leaking or dripping under the car. Checking to see if there is a pressure release for the coolant before I fire up the engine and top the coolant back up again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, the coolant cap is the pressure regulator also.

If you look, the cap isn't just a plain cap, it's job it to allow excess pressure out when the system is heated and to release vacuum as the system cools, it's a quite involved piece of equipment in the cooling system.

If there is no leaks on the engine that you can find, I would consider whether this cap needs replacing.

Think back to old pressure cookers, the pressure was maintained so that the water wouldn't boil until a higher temperature, if the pressure cap is faulty the water boils at a lower temperature.

I hope this helps ;)