Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs
14541291

I have a 2000 24 foot Rv with Chevy 3500 Chassis brakes do

Customer Question

I have a 2000 24 foot Rv with Chevy 3500 Chassis brakes do feel right
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

Do you mean that the brakes dont feel right?

If so, is the pedal going lower than normal? taking longer to stop, making noise, or something else?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you for as much detail as possible

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pedal hard to push long time to stop, BUT I just got back from a trip and drove it and now brakes work great. Since this runs off power steering pump I need to know how to check it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seem like there are two people responding and one of you think it is a 1954 chevy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I assume you are still there??
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

I will need to opt out and see if another expert can help. I just got an emergency call

Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

are you saying the brakes are working good now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they work great lightly hit brakes and RV stops on a dime, however they were a hard to push pedal and slow to stop and if you hit them downhill a long slow down. And that is what concerns me. Replaced pads rotors measure 1.500 so good replaced rear shoes and the oil seals and replaced the master cylinder the flushed all fluid out and replaced it. Nothing was done to the hydraulic pump or the rest of the system, steering works fine so I assume good hydraulic pressure there, not familiar with this type system.

ok,,

sense they work fine now,,,

tell me,had the rv been sitting a while right before this happened?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It had not been driven for about a month. However the hard pedal slow stop was always there, it's been like that since I got. It great that it suddenly started working, also worried it may stop working

OK

i would think the problem may have been rust on the brke hubs from sitting,,i would think it began working after the rust wore off..

sense it is working now,i wouldnt think you have a problem with the booster,,though,if the problem doews return and the steering is good,i would think you may have a valve sticking in the booster[accumalator] and it may need to be replaced

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n03u5cnayvym0zq/0906-rv-%20brake%20pedal%2030%20times%20to%20empty%20the%20accumulator.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/n03u5cnayvym0zq/0906-rv-%20brake%20pedal%2030%20times%20to%20empty%20the%20accumulator.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok there is no rust were is the booster located, i think it is behind the master cylinder, also the ABS module could it cause a problem. A stuck valve in the booster makes sense.

.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Tim
Regarding the braking system, I am surprised you did not suggest the following. Chevy service says this the first thing you do.
The system is called a Hydro-boost and there is a set of easy tests that you can do to determine if the assist works
The following test was done Run pump at med speed then apply brake pedal force to 100 lbs not more than 5 seconds stop engine. Wait 90 seconds apply brakes two or more times, the stored pressure should allow for emergency braking.
Tim this test failed and I replaced the hydro-boost now I have working brakes. Anyway it fixed.

yes..i would think the booster was bad

thanks