Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

Just bought a second hand 2009 diesel Xtrail yesterday at

Customer Question

Hi just bought a second hand 2009 diesel Xtrail yesterday at 3pm it was given the green light by RACV and had RWC the same day by dealer to change rego to Victoria, Australia from Qld, Australia. We drove it approx 200 on highway and it started making a thunk, flapping noise sort of like when the old rubber fan belts went, pulled over to look under hood, car stalled then wouldn't start again. RACV roadside mechanic said it might be the timing chain. Vehicle came with service books, 100,000km service done which says replace timing belt for chamshaft and injection pump. Mechanic says that if it is this it will cost about $1500. Firstly did it need replacing at 100,000km, I have been reading online that it never needs replacing, two should it have broken if it was replaced 55,000 km ago and three is $1500 a reasonable cost for this. Not happy as only had the car for 5 hours before this happened after all the checks :-)
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: How do I check how many miles are on it now?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are now stuck in a motel 200km from home, it only happened last night about 8pm, it's now 8am. RACV mechanic here will look at it this morning to see what is wrong with it. Literally only had the vehicle for 5 hours
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Hope you can help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

It is a timing chain engine.

If the vehicle doesn't start now, don't make any further attempts to start it.

It needs to be examined more thoroughly for what has happened.

The RACV mechanic is probably correct, since he has been with you to observe it.

If you bought it from a dealer, I would contact them for repair.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Gary, I contacted the dealer and he organised another car for us to use and towed the car back to his yard for repairs.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

That's great news.

Hopefully they will fix it for you for free, or at least some form of compensation.

Hope it works out for you.

Kind regards

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Glad the selling dealer is looking after you.

Please rate my service at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards