Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

1999 3.4litre dual fuel petrol/gas the air cleaner cover

Customer Question

1999 3.4litre dual fuel petrol/gas the air cleaner cover blew off with a bang, it has since been taped on by husband and his mates..the car goes well on the petrol well sort of, will not move on gas anymore..she seems to delay a little when starting but otherwise appears ok No Gas Mechanics in Cowra NSW
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Not a hog has a little trouble starting....The Husband would not listen when I asked him to go easy on gas he was determined to use predominately Gas crossing the Nullarbor towing 15ft not amused with him.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have asked Mechanics in cowra NSW none to do Gas..believe it is for BBQ only according to them
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I would like to know is it safe to drive with gas air cleaner taped up need to get to a Gas Mechanic
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

If your aircleaner lid is now secure, you should be fine as long as a back fire doesn't reoccur.

The backfire occurs from a lean condition while on gas.

Can you use petrol at cold start and for the first 5-10km until the engine has warmed up?

Hopefully you will find a LPG workshop on your trip soon.

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi Margaret,

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards