Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

I have a 2001 Nissan vanette panel van -2200 diesel

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan vanette panel van -2200 diesel automatic, that is stalling every time that it is put in gear and the throttle is applied. but if it has a push or a rolling start it would run along just fine until I stop , then it will stall when I stop and change the gear direction and apply the throttle-unless I have a push or a rolling start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

1st worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you