sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Vw golf mk5 tdi dsg 2l cannot select any gears just goes

Customer Question

vw golf mk5 tdi dsg 2l cannot select any gears just goes back and forward and does not connect anything
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 200k no what brake?
JA: What year is your Golf?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced tiptronics
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: vw told me I needed a new 3115$ replacement but now they can only get 1st and rev. not the mid gears
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sent money and you disapeared still awaiting answer ********** password
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to know why if vw said the tiptrnics are at fault why did it not fix it I believe vw dont know how to reset the tiptronics and prefer to sell a very $3115 part they just said tips gone $3115 upfront WAS any diods faulty you can buy replacements 6 for $90 but no you need a new tip at that cost Now I need a new gearbox?????
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The smarties make you pay for the tiptronics up front so to say you bought the tip. and its your now we will not take it back even though I have not touched it
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the trans is either in limp in or there is an internal failure. There may be a clutch or geartrain failure preventing it from shifting or the trans controller may not be allowing shifting due to a problem it has identified.

Do you know what fault codes are setting in the transmission controller?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sprinkles08 gearbox checked out ok selector lever operation positive (with tip removed) But your thought are not with the tip. but something mech. The mechanic quite the day it was stuffed up weither he was helped or just deceided himself but it was his last car he worked on at that vw distributor