Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

I have a 2012 XC 90 and have misplaced the electronic key. I

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2012 XC 90 and have misplaced the electronic key. I have the spare manual key but it just spins in the lock when I try to open the car. What am I missing?
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no it appears unused
JA: Are you fixing your XC 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what else can I try? I simply need to unlock it but the spare key won't unlock the door. I am pretty sure there is a new key in the glove compartment, if I can just get in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's all, thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If this is the correct cut key for the door and it inserts the door lock cylinder but only spins this is usually a fault with the door lock cylinder itself.I have seen the door lock cylinder fail in the past before and cause this issue here needing replaced.Unfortunately in this situation you would need to have a lock smith come out with their tools to correct this or a facility that uses door slim jim tools to get inside the door to unlock it for you.Then the cylinder repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete