Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Will here ,, how do I reprogram my ba xr6 2005 auto,,, iv

Customer Question

Hi Will here ,, how do I reprogram my ba xr6 2005 auto,,, iv unhooked battery an pumped brakes an 30 minutes latter itz idling with a bad miss ( wot do I do ). Help please.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Will here ,, how do I reprogram my ba...
21 August 2016 03:15
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hello

as you've disconnected the battery then any 'learns' will have been lost and ECU will need to run the engine at a few speeds and loads in order to 'relearn' its fuelling corrections

however I'd say that its likely that you have a vacuum leak, as an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you