Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

I have a 1996 zr celica that keeps cutting out while driving

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1996 zr celica that keeps cutting out while driving some time it will restart and other times it wont. It had a 5sfe motor in it and I replaced it with a 3sgte motor and the car is still doing the same thing it seems a common problem with Celica's but no one seems to know how to fix the problem any help would be grateful
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the same computer was used that was in with your old motor it is possible this computer for the engine is intermittently acting up causing this issue here needing replaced.I have seen some fail before causing this here.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch as it can act up internally intermittently and cause this as well.I would have the switch tested when acting up to see if it is failing to send the correct voltage signals to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete