Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

The bonnet will not open on 2016 vw amarok the cable appears

Customer Question

the bonnet will not open on 2016 vw amarok the cable appears to have come off at the catch
JA: What is the model of your '16 VW?
Customer: it is acurrent model 2016
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have removed the kick panel but the problem seems to be under the bonnet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Previously we have been working under the bonnet but now cant open so think maybe something has dislodged?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you received my deposit? Had connectivity issues.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Being that this is a 2016 model this should be covered under factory warranty to be inspected and repaired to correct this fault here.But usually when the fault is at the latch or where the cable connects to the latch under the bonnet unfortunately in some cases part of the grill needs cut out to access the latch and cable to correct this here.Then the part that is cut out or removed may need replaced.They dont make it easy to access this when this occurs unfortunately and usually something is damaged in the process.I would see if a dealer will look into and repair this at no cost to you since it should still be under factory warranty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Peter,I'm an Auto Electrician. The car was brought in for additional wiring and spotlights, however once the car was returned to the owner the bonnet would no longer pop open using the cable lever, so we were worried we may have caused the problem but couldn't work out how to pop the bonnet without the bonnet lever. Is there any way to access the bonnet catch so we can open it up and see if the cable has just come undone from it's housing ?.Regards John
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately when this occurs usually the cable or connection for the cable comes loose at the latch and causes this issue here.I suspect this is the case.What usually has to be done (as there is no set procedure on accessing the latch on this model when this occurs) is components need to be either removed from the front grille area to access the latch to try and manually trigger it or components broken or cut out in front of the latch.Unfortunately I have had to do this several times before with this issue.Then once the latch is accessed and operated manually it can be corrected to resolve this issue here then the components that may have been damaged would need to be replaced or repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete