discostew
discostew,
Experience:  proprietor at port steering & alignment
14364445

I have a 2013 Nissan Patrol y62 Ti. 14,000km only. The

Customer Question

Hi here,
I have a 2013 Nissan Patrol y62 Ti. 14,000km only. The dealer sold it to me in 2015 as a brand new car after being in stock for nearly 2 years.
In the past a few months, I have noticed the car start to have some problems with the following symptoms:
Car surges when braking down hills, I have noticed the rpm suddenly increases for a few seconds during surge;
Car gives out rattling noise when accelerate under load;
When start the engine sometimes it gives out a sharp ping for a second only;
When car crawls in heavy traffic or in brief stop at traffic lights, and when brake pedal is about to be released, it stalls and hesitates a bit;
Idle is more rough and engine noise increased;
Your advice is highly appreciated.
CL
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  discostew replied 3 months ago.

Hi CL , im stew a mechanic here in australia , ill see if i can help , i need a little more info , Ti....im assuming the patrol is a petrol (not diesel ) version ..yes ? What sort of petrol do you put in it ? ie E10 , 91 , 95 , 98 or dont know/care ? , do you get your petrol from the same place all the time , sometimes or just buy it where/when ever , knowing these things will be a big help in trying to figure out whats happening ,thanks ,stew

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Stew, thanks for your response.
Yes, it is a petrol 5.6 8 cylinder. Only occasionally I filled 95, most times 98. I don't go to the same place to fill up. There are Caltex, Mobil- 7-11and BP near my place.
I hope this helps.
CL

Hi CL , ok then we can eliminate poor or low fuel quality (which would cause it to rattle/ping ) , another angle that would give ping on take off/under load ,poor idle/stuttering & a rough idle would be an air leak , by air leak i mean air entering the motor by some means other than the throttle such as a vaccum hose has come off , or a inlet manifold/throttle gasket problem/leak , im just trying to figure how you could check for this , an air leak will tend to whistle/hiss with the motor at idling , are you ablr to look /listen for this or can you show it to someone who could ?stew

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Stew,Thanks for your advice. I have booked a service with my local nissan dealer to look into this on Monday. Are there any other areas I should suggest the dealer look into? Such as spark plugs, misfire, fuel supplies or exhaust etc?I guess I have to replicate the symptoms on a test drive. some of these problems are intermittent. I think the rattling/clattering noise can be done easily as it mainly does it in a 'self lugging' mode which the car automatically shifts to higher gears but at quite low rpms-between 1000 and 2000. The surge at braking is not easy as it only does it occassionally and it has to be a down hill free drive and then you will try to bring it to a stop. The rough idle and engine hesitation is not as big as jerking you around in the seat, but you can feel the vehicle 'shaking' when you just release the brake pedal trying to move forward, which it did not do before. No check engine light has ever come on but I wondered if I can request the dealer to do a scan on error codes.I just need some directions from you in terms of what I ask the dealer to look into if I can not replicate the exact symptoms on the test drive and the dealer will just send me away saying 'everything is normal' or 'it is a feature of the car'.CL

Hi CL , thanks for getting back , to me , from the info provided , i really think all of the hesitation/surge & vibration are all inter-related ( like the vaccum/air leak i suggested before , would cause all of those issues) definitly go for a test drive with someone from the dealer to show them what you are concerned about , as you mentioned (& i would expect ) when it was all good its very smooth , it only has 14k on it which is way low klm (quite new).show the dealer what its doing , state that its not like it was , as for giving direction....use caution...what i mean is they need detail of the disease,,,not the cure(thats their job!),,,generally leads to trying to fix the wrong thing if youre trying to tell them how to fix it , rather than what you want fixed (if you see what i mean),keep me posted ,follow up questions are free,& i like to get some closure on these things,cheers stew