Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Why is a 2010 Nissan Micra k13 intermitently pinging

Customer Question

Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there is a vacuum leak on the engine at all this will cause this type of fault here as excess air is entering the engine and causes a lean condition which causes this fault here.If this has not been checked this needs done.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi! Pete, there are no vacuum leaks in this checked on injection service.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

O.k. if this model uses a knock sensor if this sensor is sending false signals (and it may not be causing a fault code to set) this will cause this issue here and the knock sensor would need replaced.I would have this checked into to see if this is the cause here.If this is not the cause here let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since this reply I have replaced the Knock Sensor. This has not solved the problem. Please reply asap. Thank You
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is this an actual ping noise or an engine rattle or knock noise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine pinging noise imtermintley at in different low rpm ranges.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This may be an actual issue with a lifter/tappet that is intermittently acting up.If you have not had this checked into in the engine this needs done to see if this is the cause here.In some cases an automotive stethescope is needed to listen around the engine to locate the area the noise is coming from and then from there the engine may need taken apart partially to locate and repair the faulty engine component.

With all that has already been done here this leaves a lifter/tappet at fault or a possible timing component at fault needing replaced.

Thanks Pete