Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

I have nissam maxima 2003 model and i changed my radiator

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have nissam maxima 2003 model and i changed my radiator yesterday but the mechanics told me not to put coolant for few days insted use only water
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 170000 miles and milage is as good as it was
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: There is no problem but i was wondering if only water will do any harm
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Actually i had leakage on my old radiator so u changed it yesterday and the car is running fine but i was afraid if the water will do any harm to my car without coolant
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 10 months ago.

Short term, NO, but long term the coolant mix needs to be 50/50 coolant and water to avoid corrosion and rust issues also if ambient temperature outside is above 90 degrees you need coolant because it raises the boiling point to avoid boil over situation. Please Accept and Rate my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.