Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

2012 Rexton check light on. scanner says p01234. Workshop

Customer Question

2012 Rexton check light on. scanner says p01234. Workshop changed out throttle position sensor, $800. Check light stills comes on with same fault code. Any ideas?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P01234 fault is Throttle position sensor circuit reading over 5 volts.The throttle position sensor is essentially a potentiometer, a 3 terminal adjustable voltage divider. So when tested it has a ground terminal, a supply terminal of 5 volts, and a output of a linear increase of voltage from 0.5 to 4.5 volts as the accelerator is depressed through to throttle wide open position. The check light comes on with a voltage spike over 5 volts, so something else is causing the check light to come on. The vehicle simply derates itself when the check light comes on, the vehicle runs fine just no real power. When ignition is cycled on/off 3 times, the check light clears, and vehicle will run perfect until the check light comes on again, at random intervals. Vehicle has had two throttle position sensors changed out now. It is something else causing it. Any Ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect for any shorted wiring leading to the throttle sensor as this can cause the intermittent spike in high voltage.If this is checked and found to be o.k. there may be another sensor on the same 5 volt circuit that may be shorting out causing the 5 volt circuit to short to high voltage intermittently.I would have any components checked on this 5 volt circuit that also receive 12 volts as this can be shorting internally in the sensor creating the high 5 volt spike with the affected component needing replaced.I have had to go through some models disconnecting each sensor one at a time to locate the one at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete