indy-tech
indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  All import and domestic car repairs and diagnostics
29331485

I have a 1987 toyota camry and need to connect to the ecu,

Customer Question

Hey i have a 1987 toyota camry and need to connect to the ecu, what end can i use to plug into the ecu?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i needed a new instrument cluster and need to get the codes from the old one to put into the new one
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: not yet but i thought i could use my laptop and plug into the ecu to read a whole lot of information
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so, i restore cars for a hobby so im half savvy, i just need to know how to read the data on this old ecu and how to put the information into my new instrument cluster so the car works
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 months ago.

Hi .and good morning .

You want to replace the instrument cluster on a 1987 Toyota Camry

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im fixing up the old camry and didnt realize that even on a 1987 car the instrument cluster had codes so i need to access the ecu and find out the codes from the old cluster and give it to the new one

On this Camry you can replace the cluster with any from the same year, its just a plug in and use system .

there is no programming needed .

Even the ECU can be replaced without reprogramming it as long as it has the same part number .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh ok but the part i got was from a 1989 camry because i could not find any 1987 camrys or parts for that anywhere

If the cluster is the same it will work unless this also has problems OR the wiring harness behind the dash is faulty .

What issue was you hacing with the original cluster .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The speedo and tachometer were sticky but tested them with the cluster out and they seemed fine, and putting the new one in has stopped things like the indicators working, I tested it in the original car before I bought it and it worked fine

And with the new cluster where the indicators are not working is the speedometer and rev counter working.

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The tachometer and speedo work but the brake lights and indicators won't come on, even when I plug the old one back in the same problems occur, before I plugged in the new one everything else worked fine

Okay then check the connections on the plug on the back ,its old so use some contact cleaner on the pins and plugs

Thrn please get back to me .

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that when I first got them, the only reason I think it's some code issue is because everything worked fine and then with this new cluster in the indicators don't work and brake lights just stay on

Brake lights will stay on due to the brake switch malfunction, check this on the top part of the brake foot pedal .

If the switch is good then you have what i think is your problem a short in the cluster wiring harness .

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so how would I go about fixing that?

If you have a multi meter with Ohm meter and voltmeter you will have to check each wire from the cluster to the ECM and other components.

You will need a good wiring diagram for your car so you can check where the wire routes is and where to check

attached is a check sheet for the plug .

Rgds Greg