Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

Error code P1270 and P2110, 2003 Ba xr6 trubo

Customer Question

error code P1270 and P2110, 2003 Ba xr6 trubo
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I have a 2003 BA XR6 Turbo and when I start it, it revs to 3000rpm and then slowly drops down and then it jumps up and down from 500rpm to 1750rpm till it stalls, if I push on the accelerator before the rpms start to come down the car with idle at 1750rpms, when driving and changing gears the during the gear change the rpms will rise higher then it was before changing gears, now I have had error code come up and they are P1270 engine RPM and P2110 Throttle Actuator control system. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found the air pipe that went into the front of the turbo was undone and two other hose clamps weren't working right. Now I have replaced the clamps and reconnected the air pipe to the front of the turbo. I have cleaned the throttle body and checked for vacuum leaks which now there are none, but the car is still doing the same thing, please can someone help me for I am in a real bind and with limited funds for only on a disabled pension, and and all advice would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Code P1270 is a code the engine computer sets when the engine has been run to its max speed,this is most likely setting due to the start up rev at 3000 rpm.This code will be corrected when the high idle/rev up issue and other code is corrected.

Code P2110 will set when a fault with the throttle actuator is found.Since you have already cleaned the throttle body and this did not correct the fault here this can be a fault with the throttle body itself.The throttle actuator will fail on the throttle body and the throttle body needs replaced.Make sure all wiring and connections to the throttle body are o.k. and if there are make sure the throttle plate isnt sticking.If it is or is not I suspect the throttle body needs replaced as this is most common for the issues here and codes set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I was cleaning it the flap in the throat I pushed open and it spun straight back
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it didn't stick at all
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Most common to cause this issue here is usually the throttle actuator on the throttle body at fault but the entire throttle body itself has to be replaced.In some cases opening this flap manually can damage the throttle actuator as I have seen and done myself as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have changed the throttle body
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only move the flap when I had it off to clean but I have started the car again and it is still doing the same thing just when you can get it to idle it is now sitting on about 1600rpm instead of 1750 so what else can I do now, I am resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery and put the two leads together for 1 min and just waiting to reconnect it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I ran out of wd 40 cleaning the throat out before putting it on so I only had some airo start to finish it. Would that be the problem and if I take the front sensor clip off the motor start to really increase in RPMs that right isn't it and how long will it take the computer to reset the settings with the throttle body now I have replaced it, so it will run properly again or do I need to have the codes cleared before it will start to sort itself out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have restarted the car and it was at 1750 rpm after 5mins it has dropped to 1500rpm I'll see how it is after 15 mins
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At the end of the 15mins it was back at 1750rpm so I took it for a drive and when I got home it was still the same but when changing gears the rpms would climb to 3000rpm wen before changing it was at 2000rpm plus it takes more time then normal to drop the rpms like two to three time longer. Battery is good so what else can I do?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when this all started the car only had like 2lts of fuel in it could there be like a blockage in the fuel filter making the cars fuel pump pump harder so it can keep going and that's why the high rpms so it can keep going just a thought for I live on dirt oads so there is a chance that there is something to do with this or the fuel pump and that's why it doesn't want to idle unless you rev it up when you start it and that's why if you don't it stalls.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you spray the wd 40 into the new throttle body?

Have you had the intake smoke tested for a vacuum leak to locate any hard to see leaks at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have sprayed all the vacuum hoses with aero start and there was no change in rpm, and yes I sprayed the new throttle body with wd 40, I was woundering could the throttle sensor inside the car you know the pedals sensor be dirty? For while I wait till Monday to take it to fords to have that test done I was thinking of taking it off and cleaning it on Sunday just I suffer with chronic pain and I just can hardly move today.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Plus when driving it accelerates normally and the rpms are now at 1500rpm instead of 1750rpm, could it just need a good srive to help the computer to recalibrate for the new throttle body, plus I have put a new fuel filter on and when I emptied the fuel out of the old one the fuel was clean.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you get any of the electronics wet in the throttle body when you sprayed it with wd-40?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I didn't
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is a difficult one for me to fully diagnose here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete