sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I was traveling home in my 2006 transit TDC and all of a

Customer Question

Hi i was traveling home in my 2006 transit TDC and all of a sudden i lost power and the vehicle wouldnt rev above 2500. i was sat at the lights and the engine wasnt idling correctly it was surging constantly then when i set off everything seemed to be fine for a few KM'S then suddenly again the revs just dropped and loss of power occured again but this time a yellow warning light came on looks like a cog. i pulled over switch the engine off and restarted everything seems fine again.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it fluctuates
JA: What is the model of your '06 Ford?
Customer: 140 T350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if possible and i haven't tried anything as yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no thats the only problem
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The warning lights have come on because the engine controller has seen a failure in a monitored component or system and has set a fault code. There are literally dozens of possible causes for the engine light coming on, a failure of anything in the powertrain will set a fault code and turn the light ton. With the performance problems you're describing I would first suspect an injector related issue, but it could be a sensor, wiring, even the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.