Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 2005 kia pregio van. after about 10yrs, i took out

Customer Question

i have a 2005 kia pregio van. after about 10yrs, i took out my original beru glowplugs, tested them with an ohmmeter and replaced them with the equivalent bosch glowplugs. months later i had an engine surge in the freeway with a big cloud of smoke. had it towed to the mechanic and the van wouldnt surge and smoke anymore in his presence. he had the valve clearance adjusted and the engine ran smooth. when i changed my oil i noticed the old oil was too thin and suspected it had diesel in it and the amount of old oil that was drained from the sump was almost twice of the new oil that you woul mormally fill when you change your oil. i just went ahead with the oil change and changed the fuel and air filter as well.i also checked my bosch glowplugs and tested them again for continuity and resistance which revealed some anomaly so i pulled them out. and was shocked that the glowtips of the bosch glowplugs were partially or badly eroded/broken off.so had them replaced with ngk glowplugs.
about 2 weeks ago, again i had an engine surge not too far away from home and was able to drive it to the mechanic. again, it seems the van just goes back to normal by itself as mechanic would test drive it and would only smoke at start up. mechanic said it could be the injector pump. he asked me to to just drive with it for a few more days and bring it back to him so he can confirm that indeed its the injector pump.
i checked my sump again and as ive suspected, its over filled with diesel-contaminated oil again.
i tested my recently installed ngk glowplugs and pulled them out and they appeared to have suffered the same fate as the bosch ones ( glow tips severely eroded/broken off/stripped ) i tested my glowplug relay for continuity (was ok), does make a clicking sound, but resistance was 36 ohms as against the 13 ohms that the service manual specifies.
will appreciate your advice on those issues.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like the common fault of the injectors themselves over fueling the engine.I have ran into this several times before in the past and had to replace the injectors for this issue here.This causes the smoke,oil over fill and glow plug damage from the over fuel issue.I suspect your injectors need either cleaned by a repair facility that can clean them or removed and replaced to resolve this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete