Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician

I have an NM Pajero 3.5L SOHC auto. It currently won't start

Customer Question

Hi, I have an NM Pajero 3.5L SOHC auto. It currently won't start it has spark and fuel but no start.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Again it doesn't start and no Gas. It was idling very rough and occasionally stalling for about a week before this happened.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: It is a 2001 NM Exceed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes have checked all fuses and relays, replaced cam angle sensor, coil packs, fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It had an engine swap from a 2006 NP exceed and was running fine with the new engine for about 8 months but upon install of the new engine the starter motor wasn't getting power which I assumed was a relay but nobody (including my Mitsubishi dealer) can tell me where the relay is. To fix the issue I ran a wire directly and installed a start button which was an easy fix. No problems after that until now
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Even though it has fuel it may not have enough fuel and will cause this type of fault here.If the fuel pump is weak or injection pump (which ever is equipped) this causes this fault here and would need replaced.If the fuel pressure was already tested and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, we have replaced the fuel pump and drained and refilled the fuel tank with 60L of fresh fuel. The fuel is not the problem
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have also tried to start it on Aerostart and it will not start then either so assuming that fuel is not the issue.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What other suggestions do you have?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you checked the spark plugs to see if they are wet/fouled out with fuel at all and tried to clean and dry them and see if it starts then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete, yes we have changed the spark plugs.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is a difficult one for me to diagnose myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Have you checked whether the timing belt is intact?

Have you done a compression test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Gary, sorry for the delay I have only just seen this. The Timing belt looks fine through the inspection plate and the cams are still turning. I will be pulling it apart this week to check timing and belt tension (it's about an 8 hour job in these so just have to wait till I have the time. I am currently waiting for my compression tester to arrive and it should be here in the next couple of days. I will update you once it arrives and let you know how I go. Cheers
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

This is usually the first place to start to verify whether all is good mechanically or not.

I'll wait for your reply from testing.