Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.

Currently have my car in mechanics who have now had it

Customer Question

Currently have my car in mechanics who have now had it for 3 weeks. The car is a 2005 Nissan Patrol ZD 30. It has bene in and out of the same mechanics for 3 months now with an ongoing issue. The car would run normaly but very difficult to start. Mechanic changed out fuel pump $4500 !!!! and would drive ok for a week or too then the same problem and I'd take back to mechanic again. They have auto electrician go over the whole electrical system with no error codes identified and no idea why it won't now start at all. Any ideas?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine cranks over fine. Both batteries are less than 2 months old but still wont start. Porblem would gradually get worse from when I would get the car back. First week would start fine then second week would get harder to start then it got to the point that the engine would cracnk over for about 15 seconds with alot of shaking and rattling before firing. Once started it would run fine.
JA: What is the model of your '2500 Nissan?
Customer: 2005 GU series IV ZD 30 engine with 218 000 km's on the clock. Regularly serviced every 7500 km's.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cra is still in mechanics as they can't start it. I would have like to try fix it myself but can't get the car and not even sure where to start looking. I'm pretty handy on the tools (I'm a mechanical fitter by trade) and can fix pretty much anything on the car but the electrics and so forth on these things is beyond my capability
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of. I've told him everything I can think of so far. I had the throttle servo mator replaced about 4 years ago with genuine nissan one and the dash and steering column was ripped apart about 3 years ago during an attemtped theft of the car but had that repaired and no issues with it. Up until I had the starting issues I had not had any problems with the vehicle.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This does sound like a fuel related issue.One of the most common causes I have seen is usually a fault with the fuel pump relay or wiring to or at the pump or connections to the pump or relay.If these have not been checked this needs done.If these have been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete