Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

We've got a, We've got a Mondeo Diesel sedan, 2011 Model,

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,We've got a
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: We've got a Mondeo Diesel sedan, 2011 Model, with Engine malfunction, as well as transmission malfunction. I would like to have a Ford mechanic to have a look at this.
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 2261.0 Engine Capacity
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a mechanic suggested I contact Ford
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't think so. I was perfectly happy with everything, until I first experienced engine malfunction, followed by transmission problems.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

Its well worth checking oil ( engine and transmission) and coolant levels as a basic sanity check and if you can describe how the car drives with these faults I can try and help further

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you