sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1997 mazda is jumping out of gh range when gearing down

Customer Question

1997 mazda is jumping out of high range when gearing down ***************
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
to a lower gear
why is that so and how can it be fixed
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Without more information I'm uncertain what you're experiencing or if there is a problem. Downshifting is the transmission changing from a higher gear to a lower gear, so whether it's a forced or closed throttle downshift, when it happens you're going from a higher gear to a lower gear.

What model is the vehicle?

Can you describe the problem in detail?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the year model is a mazda T4000 4 cyl diesel. the unit is fitted is fitted with a 5 speed gearbox together with a high and low shift thus making it a 10 speed box
as i highlighted in previous email the problem that has occurred is when i am driving in high range and then select a lower gear (to go up a hill) the box jumps out of high range..
to stop this happening i first have to select low range and then select a lower gear
this has only occurred recently
previously this never happend and i like to know what could possibly have gone wrong and how you suggest we fix it
Do you know the brand and model of the overdrive?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is no overdrive

What you're describing is a bolt on overdrive unit. Don't you have an aftermarket device that has bolted onto the transmission to give a second set of gear ratios?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this mazda gearbox does not have a bolt on overdrive unit
the high and low range are part of the internal gear system in the box
it seems that maybe you are not totally familiar with type of gearbox produced by Mazda back in 1997 to suit their T3000 and T4000 truck models
if you like i can possibly send you a picture of the box from the manual i downloaded from the internet but you probably should download the manual you self yourself

The question was posted in the automotive Mazda category rather than the proper heavy equipment category because no vehicle information had been entered, I do now see the vehicle you're working on. I will open the question for others to see if a heavy equipment expert is able to help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am still awIting a response how much longer do i have to wait???