sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 1998 Subaru won't start. Done this twice now. Got it

Customer Question

Hi my 1998 Subaru won't start. Done this twice now. Got it going the first time by recharging the battery.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The immobiliser whoop whoops constantly and gets weaker and weaker
JA: What is the model of your '98 Subaru?
Customer: Forester limited
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just to put the battery on charge and yes we'd like to fix ourselves if possible
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The engine is turning but not real well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the battery is dying while the car is sitting then the problem is either the battery itself or you have a draw. It would be a good idea to have the battery load tested if it hasn't already been done so or the battery wasn't replaced in an attempt to fix this problem already.

If the battery is good then you have something drawing current while the vehicle sits. An ignition off draw test will need to be done to further diagnose a draw. An ammeter needs to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post, after a few minutes if the current flow is more than 40 mA then there is cause for concern. At that point you'd need to remove fuses one at a time while watching for the draw to drop and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.