sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have changed my Daihatsu Charade 2004 Automatic Gearbox. I

Customer Question

I have changed my Daihatsu Charade 2004 Automatic Gearbox. I filled it with 3 Litres of Dexron III.
For the first 15 Kilometres it worked well. Now when I engage the Reverse Gear or the Drive Gear I feel a sudden engagement with the drive shafts.
I suspect that the amount of oil is above that needed.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have changed my Daihatsu Charade 2004...
I have changed my Daihatsu Charade 2004 Automatic Gearbox to a second hand one. I filled it with 3 Litres of ATF Dexron III.
For the first 15 Kilometres it worked well. Now when I engage the Reverse Gear or the Drive Gear I feel a sudden engagement (NOICE) with the drive shafts.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

From your description I have to wonder if the transmission is in limp in. If the trans contorller sees an issue than can prevent proper operation then it can lock you in a single gear and shifts to drive and reverse can be harder than normal.

Are any warning lights on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The oil level (when cold) reads the mark as when HOT. How much does the gearbox hold oil please?
By the way the box has no ECU as far as I know. And I saw no warning. Shall I drain some oil?
The level is high then. You'll want to drain fluid off until its at the hot mark at operating temperature, which would be twenty minutes or more of driving.