Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Our 1996 Carib wagon got the right fronf caliper lock-up bug

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Our 1996 Carib wagon got the right fronf caliper lock-up bug for the first time today. It started dragging about a klm from home,and seized in our damp,firm sand track 400m from home...
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: The brakes were very hot,and so was the Master Cylinder.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Left with bonnet open for a hour to cool off, it reverted to normal.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm 45klms out of town and have jacks and spanners, and 78 yrs of accumulated try-to fix-it yourself syndrome. So I at least need a recipe for getting our only car to our Mechanics, Rogers Motors in Kaitaia,without embarrassing situations in traffic on the way.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

Usually this is the caliper itself that has failed needing replaced to correct this fault here.Unfortunately I do not see a bypass for this here especially since it is involved with the brake system but if this was only one caliper that locked up it is the caliper itself that needs replaced and it may need towed to have diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete