Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

We have a 2009 Outlander XLS that had a noise develop in the

Customer Question

We have a 2009 Outlander XLS that had a noise develop in the motor at about 95000km, service agent couldn't hear it until 135000kms, (it has been serviced by Mitsubishi dealer twice yearly since new) was a whine noise on starting - they "removed belt & checked idlers & accessories for noise, no bearings damaged - started engine with belt off - noise still the same indicating damage/wear inside engine, timing chain making the noise - will need replaced to stop noise"
After this the whine noise was gone but after just 500km it is now very noisy & making a knocking type noise. We took it back but the service agent just said thats how it sounds. It is a petrol but sounds a lot like a diesel motor now. Any ideas?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry missed this bit out............We had the timing chain replaced "check noise, remove rocker cover, front of engine covers, drive belts, pulleys etc & remove old timing chain, fit new chain, time engine, fit new guides & tensioners, reassemble front of motor & check all, road test & recheck for leaks etc all ok." after this the whine noise was gone but after just 500km it is now very noisy & making a knocking type noise. We took it back but the service agent just said thats how it sounds. It is a petrol but sounds a lot like a diesel motor now. Any ideas?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately it can be very hard to diagnose engine noise when your not there to hear it. If its possible can you make a recording of this noise and post a link to it here so I can hear this noise and I will tell you what could be causing it. Post back when you can with this and we can work from there.