Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

Keeps drawing power i have put in a new battery and

Customer Question

Keeps drawing power for battery i have put in a new battery and alternator and the battery light still remains on n then engine cuts out n battery is drained upon trying to start it
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: Brand new n ive changed it twice ...alternator is also brand new
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Ba xr6 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ive tried putting the positve alternator eire straight to the battery and it still does it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Um no not off the top of my head
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working, then trace the small wire back from the alternator into the wiring loom checking for hard sections and damaged insulatio

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you