Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

On a 2001 Mazda Tribute the box around the P on the auto

Customer Question

On a 2001 Mazda Tribute the box around the P on the auto display won't light up so I can't get the keys out all the other boxs light up and the gear box works perfectly
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  discostew replied 5 months ago.

Hi Gilbert,sounds like a miss communication between gear selector/brake pedal/key removal lock. Start the process from the start i.e. foot on brake/move gear shift from park to drive -then back to park/shut off motor-rotate key (or a process quite similar---your normal turn on turn off routine),cars are even dumber than computers the old turn it off & then back on again trick works wonders(try numerous times,hit the dash and curse also helps---trust me)Stew

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That has all been done ,hitting and cursing ???? Brake petal stops it from moving it all works great , What would stop the box around the P on the display ???

There will be a cable connecting the shift lever to the gearbox,there will be a switch(or indeed swithes) on the gearbox(or within the shifting mechanism) that will operate the indicator in the dash/prevent the motor starting in d or r/lock the key in the barrel,now unless you want to take the car to say an auto elec or a transmission guy or both,you need to under stand that the shift,the start inhibitor,the dash indicator and the key lock all need to synchronise in order to work,i cant tell which one or combination of these things isn't working(I don't have the luxury of being able to try it myself),auto elec,transmission guy or both.