sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2003 megane cabriolet that has not been driven more

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 megane cabriolet that has not been driven more than 50klms in 3 years (been in storage). Started it a couple of weeks ago - running rough, replaced 4 coils. Drives fine but is idling high, around 2200rpm when in park or neutral. Wondering if it is the idle control valve or throttle or something else?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes, drives fine. I replaced battery as well.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've already written what I've done
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that you have an idle air control issue but the throttle blade may be not be physically closing, you could have an inaccurate throttle position sensor signal, or it could be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak is a very common cause of a high idle.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I dont have access to a diag computer. Can you tell me what would be highest likelihood, then 2nd then 3rd etc? Can I diag vacuum leak without a computer and if so what do i check?

Is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No.
From cold start idles around 1100 for about 5 mins until engine warms up then all of a sudden keeps creeping up to around 2100 and doesnt drop when accelerator touched like usual..

You can check to make sure the throttle blade is physically closing and do a visual inspection of all vacuum lines to make sure they're intact and in place. If nothing can be seen then carb cleaner can be sprayed at any suspected leak areas such as the intake. If the idle changes when spraying a certain area then you've located a leak.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, ill give that a go when i get home

Great!