rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

It won't start. Have had trouble with it starting lately. It

Customer Question

It won't start. Have had trouble with it starting lately. It turns on one day and doesn't the next.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No nothing at all. The battery is fairly new. Took to mechanic a few weeks ago they took the starter motor out to check that is good they couldn't work it out.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: Volswagon Passat 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are hoping to fix problem but need to know what it is. Mechanic has no idea. We think it's the electronics?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Intermittent starting issues are usually caused by bad connections at the battery cables, or they may have corrosion on them. I think I would still have that battery load tested though.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great advice thank you Gold star.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.