sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Blocked sunroof drain with water in passenger floor (front)

Customer Question

blocked sunroof drain with water in passenger floor (front) - right hand drive model
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2006 tribute
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pushed wire down drain and used compressed air
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: however does not seem to work
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: other side ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Compressed air with a rubber tipped blowgun is the preferred way to clear a sunroof drain. If that doesn't clear it then the tube may be pinched somewhere or there may be a very solid obstruction. I haven't had a drain tube I couldn't clear with air unless it was frozen.

Are you using a rubber tipped blowgun which seals at the drain tube inlet?

What happens when air is applied?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi - I used a blow gun and wire to clean over the weekend. A gumtree nut came out of the one that was the problem so hopefully it is now fixed. I had trouble getting the air gun to seal around the drain (not rubber gun) so wrapped tape around it - not perfect but not too bad. When testing the drivers side drain (right hand drive car) the water came out just below the footwell but the passenger side drain water came out in more to the very front of the car beneath the headlights. Am wondering if this means the drain is not fixed properly on passenger side? What do you think? I was not able to find a good diagram from Mazda / Ford on the web that shows where these drains end.

As long as the water is draining outside the vehicle that's all you're concerned with. If you can pour water in the drain with a bottle or cup and it drains quickly that's what you're looking for.